About Prevail Therapeutics
Prevail is a New York City-based biotechnology company focused on developing novel gene therapies for Parkinson’s disease and other genetically-defined neurodegenerative diseases. Prevail is based in the Alexandria Center for Life Science.
The Vice President of Legal Affairs will be the first in-house legal staff member at Prevail Therapeutics and will support a broad range of legal activities, including contract management and execution, intellectual property strategy and execution, corporate matters, and compliance.
We are looking for an enthusiastic, self-motivated, hands-on, leader with excellent interpersonal skills who is comfortable working in an open environment spanning multiple functions.
Our employees are expected to function with a high degree of independence in a fast-paced startup company, while working collaboratively within a multidisciplinary team that is dedicated to the development of new therapies for neurodegenerative diseases.
- Contract and transaction responsibilities:
- Provide contracting support to internal functions, which may include Research, Clinical Operations, Analytical Development, CMC, Manufacturing/Supply, G&A, HR, etc. as necessary to support the needs of the business.
- Draft, review, and negotiate agreements (independently and/or in consultation with outside counsel), including those directed to confidentiality, consulting, material transfers, master services agreements, supply agreements, and statements of work, among others.
- Develop processes and practices that streamline the contracting process, including developing and refining templates.
- Advise the Prevail team on contract interpretation, dispute resolution, IP ownership and other legal risks.
- Corporate responsibilities:
- Proactively ensure that Prevail conducts business in compliance with all applicable laws and regulations.
- Collaborate across the departments to identify and analyze areas of risk; proposing and driving solution in complex matters.
- Develop and implement internal policies across broad range of subject matter including employment, compliance, privacy and security.
- Advise on all aspects of corporate governance including preparation for meeting of Board of Directors.
- Intellectual property responsibilities:
- Manage outside counsel in the preparation and prosecution of patent applications and provide technical and legal expertise to maximize the quality of applications.
- Manage outside counsel and work with them to develop processes for protection of intellectual property and work closely with research and development personnel to identify patentable inventions, participate in invention disclosure assessments and provide guidance regarding the patentability of inventions under review.
- Coordinate monitoring, evaluating and address competitor and other applicable third party IP rights and advise senior management on the implications of such rights.
- Advise senior management on IP strategies, including what can and should be protected, where patents should be filed, and risks and opportunities associated with business development transactions.
- Formulate and implement policy for US and foreign patent applications and patent term extension applications on a global basis.
- JD, preferably coupled with an advanced degree in science or equivalent experience, and admission to at least one state bar.
- Minimum of 12 years of legal experience in the biotech and pharmaceutical industry, in a law firm and/or in-house, with experience negotiating contracts typical for a drug development company, managing corporate and securities legal matters for a drug development company, as well as managing patent applications and developing a strategic patent portfolio.
- Client service orientation and ability to respond quickly with good judgment to urgent situations.
- Strong attention to detail and the ability to manage multiple tasks
- Ability to work individually, within a multi-disciplinary team, as well as with external vendors
- Excellent communication, presentation, negotiation, influence, collaboration and interpersonal skills.
- Strong analytical, organizational and communication skills (written and verbal) required.
We offer competitive compensation and benefits, including paid time off, health insurance, life insurance and flexible spending accounts. Prevail is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please apply by sending your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.